Cleansing The Colon
Dr. William Donald Kelley, D.D.S., M.S.
Extracted from One Answer to Cancer
The Coffee Enema
A high, retention enema, using coffee, should be taken to aid in the
elimination of toxic waste material from the body. The coffee enema should be taken daily
for as long as one is on Metabolic Medicines Cancer Cure Program. After 35 years,
Dr. Kelley still takes his daily enema.
The coffee enema is very stimulating to the liver and is the greatest
aid in elimination of the livers toxic wastes.
The coffee enema, besides stimulating liver detoxification, also has
beneficial effects in cleaning the colon. Coffee is an excellent solvent for encrusted
waste accumulated along the walls of the colon. The caffeine also directly stimulates the
peristaltic muscle to contract more powerfully and loosen such deposits, which are
occasionally visible as hard, black material and "ropes" of mucus. Gradually, as
the protein metabolism of the body improves, the muscle tone of the bowel becomes normal
and thorough evacuation is possible without the aid of the enema.
Essentially, the coffee enemas help the liver perform a task for which
it was not designed that of elimination in 1 or 2 years the accumulated wastes from
many years of living in ignorance of the laws of nature.
At first, most people dislike enemas and have psychological barriers
against them. Ignorance of the purpose and function of the enema, as well as
misunderstanding of the proper procedure for taking it bring about this aversion. I have
observed, however, that the persons most opposed to enemas soon reverse their prejudices
and become the most avid supporters of them! In many cases, the enema relieves distress
and gives a sense of well being and cleanliness never before experienced. The proper
removal of toxins and debris from the colon is absolutely essential in all conditions of
disease and ill health.
It is most desirable to take the coffee enema early in the morning and
it may be repeated again in early afternoon and/or evening, depending upon the toxic
condition of the body. Enemas using coffee in the afternoon or evening may interfere with
sound sleep. If enemas are needed at these times, many patients prefer to use only warm
pure water omitting the coffee. But it is better to take coffee at these times also, and a
weaker solution to permit sleep would be better than not using coffee at all.
How To Make A Coffee Enema
- Just before bedtime each day, make a pot of coffee (1 quart). Unplug coffeepot and allow
to cool to room temperature.
- It is best to arise early enough each morning to allow time to take the enema in a
relaxed, unhurried state.
- The coffee must be regular, non-instant, non-decaffeinated coffee. It must be prepared
in enamelware, Corning Ware, glass or stainless steel, or by the tricolator filter
method. Aluminum or Teflon should not be used at any time! We have found the coffee that
is unboiled or prepared via the "drip method" is preferable. Use 3 to 4
tablespoons of ground coffee to 1 quart of Filtered Reverse Osmosis (RO) or distilled
water. Any water that enters into the body should be RO filtered or distilled water.
Avoidance of city water supplies (always chlorinated, which has been
strongly linked to hardening of the arteries, and often fluoridated, which has been
strongly linked to cancer and thyroid disease) is most essential to removing stress from
the kidneys. Pure RO filtered water or distilled water should be used for cooking and
drinking and even for preparing enemas, since a significant portion of the enema
water may be absorbed and filtered through the kidneys. Even if one has a well, it should
not be assumed safe. Often toxic amounts of copper, cadmium, and lead are picked up from
the plumbing even if the well is pure. It is best to purchase a small distilling unit and
distill from ones tap. If one distills water from a city supply, one must remember
that certain hydrocarbon contaminants have a lower boiling point than that of water. The
distiller should have a valve to permit their escape as they gasify. If not, they will
concentrate in the distilled water and will need to be removed by filtering through
One may purchase a Reverse Osmosis Filter Unit from:
Sparkling Water Company 800-460-5728 or
Ozark Water Service 800-835-8908.
An acceptable Distilled Water System:
H20 Only, Inc. 724-287-5555
Note: Filters breed deadly bacteria. If your water supply is
dirty a filter will get dirty in less than 30 days A filter should be changed every
30 days even if your water supply is clean.
- If a coffee enema makes a person jittery, shaky, nervous, nauseated, or light-headed,
the coffee solution is too strong. The amount of coffee can be adjusted from 1 teaspoon to
4 tablespoons per quart of water as tolerance level permits.
- The high, retention coffee enema should consist of 1 quart of coffee, held for 15
minutes. Some people, children especially, can take and retain only a pint (2 cups) of
enema solution at a time. If this is the case, one must take 2 enemas each time, one right
after the other, and hold each for 15 minutes as directed.
- Upon rising each morning plug in the coffeepot for a few seconds to bring coffee to body
temperature; unplug and take the morning coffee enema.
Take A Coffee Enema
- Before the enema do some form of mild exercise if possible, such as walking briskly. If
one is extremely debilitated and weak, this step will of course need to be omitted until
- Attempt a normal bowel movement. The enema is much more effective if the colon has been
evacuated. One should not become disturbed, however, if there are no regular bowel
movements, or very few, during Metabolic Medicines Cancer Cure Program. In many
cases, not enough bulk collects to instigate a normal bowel movement. When no normal bowel
movements are forthcoming, the enema cleans the colon adequately.
- Bulk formers such as Metamucil (or other brands of Psyllium Husks obtainable at
drug or health food stores) taken as directed, or 2 tablespoons of millers bran with
each meal (obtainable at the health food store) are quite helpful in forming stools and
thereby creating more normal bowel movements for those who take daily enemas.
- After the normal bowel movement, if one is forthcoming, or before taking the coffee
retention enema, most people find that taking an enema with 1 quart of warm RO filtered
water or distilled water is very helpful (do not retain this enema). This procedure begins
the cleansing of the colon, removing large particles of residue and most of the gas. When
it is completed, the coffee retention enema may be taken. The warm water enema is optional
and does not need to be taken if the coffee enema can be retained for the desired period.
- Place 1 quart of coffee in your enema bag or bucket. You may use a Fleet enema bag,
which is a disposable large volume plastic bag, an over-the-counter item from the local
pharmacy or hospital supply outlet. This enema bag lasts about 2 years.
- The enema tip on the end of the hose is not adequate to give a "high enema."
Place a colon tube (DAVOL) size 24 French or 26 French or 28 French on the opposite end of
the plastic tube from the enema bag. This colon tube is a soft flexible rubber-like tube
around 30 inches in length. It follows the curves and flexure of the colon. The colon tube
is usually inserted about 12 to 20 inches into the rectum. (Editors Note: It is
difficult today to find a colon tube. However, a plastic rectal catheter or tube about 18
inches long may be ordered from your pharmacy as an over-the-counter item.)
- Next, allow the coffee to flow to the end of the colon tube, thus eliminating any air in
- The colon tube should be lubricated with natural creamery butter, Vitamin E cream or
other lubricant that doesnt contain additives or chemicals.
- Insert the tube 12 to 20 inches into the rectum, if possible. This should be done
slowly, in a rotating motion that helps to keep the tube from "kinking up"
inside the colon.
- The enema bag should not be over 36 inches higher than the rectum. If it is placed too
high, the coffee runs into the colon too fast and under too much pressure, causing
- There are several positions that can be used while inserting the colon tube. Squatting
is one. There is also the knee-chest method, with chest and knees on the floor and
buttocks in the highest position possible. Most people, however, find it easiest to lie on
the left side until the solution is out of the bag or bucket. The enema should never be
taken while sitting on the toilet or standing.
- Some peoples colons have kinks or turns in them that may prevent the tube from
being inserted even 18 inches. Often, if a little bit of the solution is allowed to flow
into the colon as the tube is being inserted, one may comfortably get past these kinks.
- If a kink bends the tube too much and stops the flow of liquid, then the tube can be
inserted only as far as it will go, still allowing the liquid to flow freely.
- Sometimes, if one hits a kink that stops the flow of the liquid completely, the tube can
be pulled out slowly just to the point where the solution is felt flowing again.
Frequently, the tube can be pushed back in, past the turn that previously stopped the
- Because of the shapes and formations of some peoples colons or of course if a
child is being given the enema, it will be possible to insert the tube only a few inches.
Occasionally, this is a permanent situation. Often, however, as the colon is cleaned and
healed, the tube can eventually be inserted further.
- The tube should never be forced when discomfort occurs.
- After the flow of the solution is completed, one may remove the colon tube, although it
isnt necessary to do so. Regardless of the position used up to this point, one
should now lie on the left side for at least 5 minutes, then on the back for another 5
minutes, then on the right side for at least 5 minutes.
- Those who have excessive gas may leave the tube in the colon with the hose clamp open.
This allows gas to escape through the enema container. Frequently, the coffee will go in
and out of the enema bag or bucket until the gas is relieved.
- After the enema is retained for 15 minutes or longer, it may be expelled.
- One is now ready for the rest of his daily routine clean and refreshed!
- If you find you have a lot of gas and it is difficult to retain the enema, try putting 2
tablespoons of blackstrap molasses into your coffee solution.
- If you get a sudden gas bubble causing an urge to expel the solution, breathe very fast
through your nose using your abdominal muscles like a bellows. This usually helps the
colon wall break up the gas bubble.
- If you find that a little coffee leaks out, place an old towel under your buttocks.
Occasionally, the intestinal tract will become obstructed. Usually
under these circumstances, no food or feces will come through. After a few days, one
becomes extremely nauseated and starts vomiting. He or she will be very sick and will
normally run a high temperature. This should be watched quite carefully, for in such cases
immediate emergency treatment is absolutely necessary.
One should never allow themselves to become extremely toxic. But, in
order to distinguish between a healing toxic reaction and an intestinal obstruction, as
soon as nausea or vomiting develops and no food is passing through, all supplements and
food should be stopped for 5 days. Water and juice may be taken during this time.
If there is no vomiting, food is passing through, and the temperature
remains below 100 degrees, the diet and normal routine may be resumed, as one may assume
there is no obstruction.
A point to remember is that one shouldnt fail to cycle off the
supplements routinely before reaching such a state of toxicity!
If, during the 5 days off the supplements with no solid food intake,
one begins to vomit and has abdominal pain with high temperature, the physician should be
consulted so that he or she can check for intestinal obstruction.