[2010 Aug] Swine Flu Cure using Vitamin C Therapy

Patient Advocacy services.

If a family member is in hospital, and the hospital is not listening to you for any reason, the first thing to do is to get an advocate.  Hospitals do have onsite advocates, but they are not as effective as the HDC advocates.

The Nationwide Health and Disability Consumer Advocacy Service is provided under the Health and Disability Commissioner Act 1994.

People wanting an independent health and disability advocate to inform them of their rights and to provide assistance to resolve complaints can contact 0800 555 050 or email advocacy@hdc.org.nz

HDC Advocates are on the side of the consumer and are legally required to be independent of all providers including hospitals. As they are biased to consumers they are also required to be independent of the Health and Disability Commissioner who must consider all sides and take an impartial view.

For more information including a copy of the legislation and the Code of Consumers' Rights go to http://www.hdc.org.nz

If anyone has a problem with an advocate, then they can ring 0800112233, and ask to speak to the Director of Advocacy.