A Short List of Recent American School Shooters
and the Brain-Altering Drugs They Were On:
* Eric Harris at Columbine High was on Luvox when he killed
classmates and a teacher in Denver, Colorado.
* Kip Kinkel in Springfield, Oregon was withdrawing from
Prozac when he shot 24 classmates/family members.
* Shawn Cooper, a 15-year-old in Notus, Idaho, was taking
Ritalin when he fired a shotgun at school.
* 14-year-old Elizabeth Bush was on Prozac when she shot at
fellow students in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, wounding one.
* Mitchell Johnson was taking an unspecified psych drug when
he shot fellow students in Jonesboro, Arkansas.
* T.J. Solomon, a 15-year-old in Conyers, Georgia, was
taking Ritalin when he shot six classmates.
* Jason Hoffman was on Effexor and Celexa when he wounded
five students at his California high school.
* Cory Baadsgaard was on Paxil when took a rifle to his high
school and held 23 classmates hostage.
If any of these incidents had been associated with illicit
drug use, everybody would have been up in arms blaming the
methamphetamine, the cocaine, the pot, the alcohol and
calling on an increase in the futile War on Drugs.
But because these dangerous and dependency-incuding
synthetic chemicals have been blessed by the media,
prescribed by respectable physicians, manufactured by
extremely profitable famous corporations, making huge
amounts of money for investors and are headed by CEOs who
have their pictures on the covers of Fortune, BusinessWeek,
etc. we turn our gaze away from the obvious truth,
condemning our teenagers to more brain-altering (yes even
brain cell-destroying) legal "zombification" drugs that may
affect our children's personalities and behaviors for the
rest of their lives, perhaps condemning them to more acts of
suicide and/or aggression as Big Pharma laughs all the way
to the bank.
Gary Kohls, MD
Preventive Psychiatry Newsletter #150