Oklahoma  ABC

Government informant warned of attack. ABC news spiked the story



Shortly before Howe was charged by federal prosecutors, Key said, "some in the major media" became aware of who she was and what she was doing for the ATF.

NBC eventually ran a story about Howe and the Elohim City connection, as did ABC. But, Key said, ABC was planning to follow up with a more in-depth report focusing more on Howe's activities for the ATF, but "were 'encouraged' not to run it."

Key told WND that former ABC producer Roger Charles -- who later went to work for Key's OKC bombing committee as an investigator -- said, "ABC had interviewed an assistant Justice Department official up in Denver (where McVeigh and Nichols were tried) by the name of Lisa Brown, who was working for the main prosecution's team."

According to Key, Charles "and a number of other media were asking questions about Howe." Previously, Justice Department officials had denied knowing anything about Howe and said she had no role in the OKC investigation or events leading up to the bombing.

But ABC "eventually got Brown to make an admission on film" that government officials "did know about Howe," but that "she had nothing to do with the case, that she wasn't any big deal," Key said.

"But they got this admission, so they [ABC] were going to put this second piece together, coupled with some other information, that was primarily about Carol Howe," Key said. "But they got pressure put on them not to run it."


Undercover: The Howe Revelations
by William F. Jasper

To a tight circle of federal law enforcement officials she was known as Confidential Informant 53270-183, or more commonly, CI-183. To her "comrades" in the neo-Nazi and "Christian Identity" movements -- whom the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) and FBI had asked her to infiltrate and surveil -- she was known by the noms de guerre "Freya" and "Lady MacBeth." During the trial of Timothy McVeigh for the Oklahoma City bombing, she became more widely known in press accounts by her real name: Carol Elizabeth Howe.

That is the name affixed to the ATF's "Informant Agreement" of August 25, 1994, signed by Miss Howe and Special Agent Angela Finley (now Angela Finley-Graham) of the ATF's Tulsa, Oklahoma office. McVeigh's defense team had sought to have Howe testify concerning her allegations that she had warned her federal supervisors prior to the bombing that subjects of her investigation were planning to bomb federal buildings, including the one in Oklahoma City. But jurors in the Denver trial of McVeigh never heard Carol Howe's name mentioned in court, nor did they hear her testimony. Federal prosecutors filed motions to prevent her appearance as a defense witness.

"Irrelevant" Witness

U.S. District Judge Richard Matsch ruled for the prosecution in a May 27th decision that found Miss Howe's testimony "irrelevant" to the McVeigh trial. At the time, Judge Matsch's ruling was astounding, since the "relevance" of Howe's testimony is facially obvious. It was federal prosecutors, after all, who had entered into evidence the records of a telephone debit card registered to Timothy McVeigh under the name "Daryl Bridges." Among the calls listed was one placed two weeks before the bombing, at 1:46 p.m. on April 5th, to Elohim City, the main target of Howe's undercover work. The intended recipient of that call was Andreas Strassmeir, whom Howe had identified before the bombing as one who was plotting to blow up federal buildings and carry out shootings, assassinations, and other acts of violence. Strassmeir has admitted in an affidavit to having met McVeigh at a gun show and having purchased materials from him.

However, there is considerable evidence indicating a much more substantial connection. Witnesses in Herington, Kansas, for instance, where McVeigh once lived and where his co-defendant Terry Nichols still lived at the time of the bombing, state that Strassmeir was a friend of McVeigh. The McVeigh/Bridges call to Strassmeir at Elohim City takes on even more relevance by virtue of the fact that it was placed from the same phone (at the Kingman, Arizona motel where McVeigh was staying), and on the same calling card, less than two minutes after a call to the Ryder Truck Rental agency.

Even more astonishing evidence supporting Howe's charges was revealed in Howe's own trial in Tulsa, which concluded with a complete acquittal on all counts on August 1st. Howe's attorney, Clark O. Brewster,