The Liver-Gallbladder Flush
Dr. William Donald Kelley, D.D.S., M.S.
Extracted from One Answer to Cancer
The importance of cleansing the debris from the liver and gall bladder,
thus keeping the bile free flowing, cannot be overemphasized. This can be effectively
accomplished by doing the Liver-Gall Bladder Flush (a form of which at one time was widely
used at the world famous Lahey Clinic in Boston, MA), which is necessary even if one has
had their gall bladder removed. The four basic active principles in this procedure are:
- Apple juice (high in malic acid) or ortho-phosphoric acid, which acts as a solvent in
the bile to weaken adhesions between solid globules.
- Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), taken by mouth and enema, which allows magnesium to be
absorbed into the bloodstream, relaxing smooth muscles. Large solid particles which
otherwise might create spasms are able to pass through a relaxed bile duct.
- Olive oil, unrefined, which stimulates the gall bladder and bile duct to contract
powerfully, thus expelling solid particles kept in storage for years.
- Coffee enemas, which consist of a coffee solution retained in the colon. They activate
the liver to secrete its waste into the bile, enhancing bile flow and further relaxing the
bile duct muscle.
The Liver-Gall Bladder Flush is one of the most important procedures
for persons over 15 years of age. If one is above 15 years of age and his or her physician
gives approval, he or she should do this the first week of Metabolic Medicines
Cancer Cure Program, and should, with his or her physicians approval, repeat it
every 2 months. The steps in doing this are not difficult and are as follows:
- For 5 days prior to the "Flush," consume as much apple juice or cider as the
appetite permits, in addition to regular meals. You may add a total of 60 drops of Formula
HRT (Phosfood Liquid or Super Phos 30) to the apple juice or cider each day. Nutritional
supplements should also be taken during this time. The first preference for juice would be
freshly juiced organic apples, and secondly, apple juice or cider (unsweetened and
preferably organic if possible) purchased either from the health food or grocery store. A
person should be sure to read the labels carefully and obtain a juice that has no
If one is a severe hypoglycemic, is diabetic, or has difficulty
tolerating the juice or cider, he or she may take 20 drops of HRT (Phosfood Liquid or
Super Phos 30) with each meal (60 drops daily) in RO filtered water or distilled water or
some type of juice other than apple. Due to the high acidity, it is wise that one brush
his teeth or rinse out his mouth with Milk of Magnesia or baking soda solution after
taking the ortho-phosphoric acid.
- At noon on the sixth day, one should eat a normal lunch and take the Metabolic Formulas
scheduled for that time.
- Two hours after lunch, 1 or 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) dissolved in
1 to 3 ounces of warm mineral water, RO filtered water or distilled water should be taken.
The taste may be objectionable to some. If so, the mixture can be followed by a little
citrus juice if desired (freshly squeezed if possible).
- Four hours after lunch, one should take a 1-quart coffee enema with one-fourth (1/4) cup
of Epsom salt dissolved in it. This should be retained for 15 minutes and expelled. The
coffee should be made as strong as one can tolerate but no stronger than 6 tablespoons of
ground coffee per quart of water.
- Five hours after lunch take 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt, dissolved as the previous dose
- Six or seven hours after lunch, one may fast if desired. However, it is preferable to
have a fresh fruit salad, using as many fresh fruits in season as possible. Use heavy,
unpasteurized whipping cream as a dressing on the salad, whipped with a little raw
(unheated) honey if desired. One can eat as much as desired of the whipped-cream-covered
salad. If fresh fruit is unavailable, frozen berries such as strawberries, blueberries,
boysenberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc. can be used. These should also be covered
with whipped cream and a large portion eaten. Take citrus fruit or juice after the cream
and fruit meal, if desired. For hypoglycemics, the cream should balance the fruit.
However, each hypoglycemic should adjust the amount of salad eaten to his individual
- At bedtime, there can be 1 of 3 choices (Note: Olive oil stimulates the gall
bladder and bile duct to contract powerfully, thus expelling solid particles kept in
storage for years. All juice should be freshly squeezed if possible):
- Take one-half (1/2) cup of unrefined olive oil or 6 tablespoons of Formula F followed by
a small amount of orange, grapefruit, or lemon juice if the oil taste is objectionable.
- Take one-half (1/2) cup of unrefined olive oil or 6 tablespoons of Formula F blended
with one-half (1/2) cup of orange, grapefruit, or diluted lemon juice.
- Take 4 tablespoons of unrefined olive oil or 4 tablespoons of Formula F followed by 1
tablespoon of citrus juice every 30 minutes until 6 ounces of oil have been consumed. This
choice is preferable for those who are unusually weak or who have had gall bladder
problems in the past. It has been found helpful to rinse the mouth with an alcohol base
drink like Sherry to cut out the residue of the oil taste. If an alcohol base drink is
unobtainable, try a natural carbonated drink, or club soda. (Do not swallow
the alcohol drink or the carbonated drink.) (Note: If one should vomit during the
consumption of the oil and juice, the procedure should be continued until it is finished.
It is not necessary to make up for the amount that was vomited. Nausea felt during this
process usually indicates stimulation of the gall bladder and/or liver.)
- Immediately upon finishing the oil and juice (or while taking it), one should go to bed
and lie on the right side with the right knee drawn up toward the chin for 30 minutes
before going to sleep. This encourages the oil to drain from the stomach, helping contents
of the gall bladder and/or liver to move into the small intestine.
- If one feels quite ill during the night, another strong coffee enema with one-fourth
(1/4) cup of Epsom salt dissolved in it may be taken.
- If there is a strong feeling of nausea the following morning, one should try to remain
in bed until it subsides somewhat. Vomiting should not be forced.
- Upon arising, one must take another strong coffee enema with Epsom salt in it or, 1 hour
before breakfast, take 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt dissolved in 1 to 3 ounces of warm
mineral water, RO filtered water or distilled water.
- If one continues to feel nauseous or very sore in the upper abdomen even after the
enema, a light diet of sprouts, fruit (raw or steamed), yogurt or kefir, and freshly
extracted vegetable juices (especially with beet greens in them) should be resumed. If one
finds that the Metabolic Formulas cause discomfort immediately after the flush, they may
be omitted for three days.
- Taking one hydrochloric acid tablet at bedtime will help reduce any nausea during the
- If you have a tendency to get nauseated from the oil, take 2 tablespoons of Aloe Vera
juice after your doses of oil and citrus juice.
- Placing a hot water bottle over the liver area (under the right ribcage) during the
night also helps relieve nausea.
Note: One should not be frightened by the above references to
nausea, vomiting, soreness of the abdomen, etc. Chances are that the symptoms wont
be severe enough to cause vomiting or soreness of the abdomen, as this happens only very
rarely. Many people complete this procedure with minimal discomfort, and nearly everyone
feels much better after completing it. Flushing the liver and gall bladder in the manner
described (if the gall bladder is present) stimulates and cleans these organs as no other
Oftentimes, persons suffering for years from gallstones, lack of
appetite, biliousness, backaches, nausea, and a host of other complaints will find
gallstone-type objects in the stool the day following the flush. These objects are light
to dark green in color, very irregular in shape, gelatinous in texture, and of sizes
varying from "grape seed" size to "cherry" size. If there seems to be
a large number of these objects in the stool, the flush should be repeated in 2 weeks.