Part B - The Parents & The Children
4. The UK Families Taking Legal Action
- Estimated 850 families taking legal action in the UK under Consumer Protection Act
against MMR manufacturers Aventis Pasteur MSD, Merck and Company, SmithKline Beecham and
SmithKline & French Laboratories
- Families convinced that MMR vaccination was trigger for childs degeneration into
autism or other serious condition, including deaths.
- Despite research pointing to original failure to properly conduct safety tests on MMR,
and emerging research linking MMR with autism (autistic enterocolitis syndrome) and/or
inflammatory bowel disease, UK Department of Health and other medical institutions
continue to claim that MMR is safe
- This claim based upon advice of UK Committee on Safety of Medicines and Joint Committee
on Vaccination and Immunisation - both of which would suffer a catastrophic loss of public
confidence, should such a link emerge - and a number of studies, all of which have severe
weaknesses or inconclusive outcomes. Details in text.
5. The Parents Have Seen What Theyve Seen
- Vaccines have saved millions of lives. Parents not anti-vaccination in principle.
Parents all took children to be vaccinated. All recognise need to protect children
- But saving lives from diseases doesnt justify ruining significant numbers
of lives from unrecognised and unmonitored vaccine damage.
- Also felt by many parents that argument that "the benefits of vaccination outweigh
the risks" has become increasingly skewed by overstating dangers of diseases (by
citing experience from poor and underdeveloped countries, or UK experience from half a
century ago), or grossly underplaying risks from vaccination. Latter aided by extremely
poor monitoring of adverse outcomes, or by authorities refusing to accept that an adverse
outcome was result of vaccine (= "cooking the numbers").
- All affected parents are in privileged position of having watched child degenerate.
Powerful experience. Other parents report same experience.
- Usually gradual degeneration over many weeks and months, not acute event.
More like eg onset of cancer than the rare acute reactions to vaccines seen in the past.
- Onset of gut/bowel problems and hyperactivity have accompanied onset of autism. Clearly
these are connected with each other. Wakefield investigated bowel problems - and found
autism. Concept of a link is therefore obvious, even without detailed research.
- An anecdote is an anecdote. A pattern is much more powerful. What we have a consistent
detailed pattern of reports from parents. UK Department of Health (DoH) doesnt
appear to recognise difference.
- Likely that very few of the medical establishment spokespersons, commentators etc. have
examined even single example of affected children, talked to the parents, or checked
childs records. Doubtful if most have even read any of the research available (as
opposed to the DoHs press releases and other second-hand material)
6. The Financial Costs - Autism Is Costing Billions
Quite apart from the immense social costs of autism, there are the huge financial
costs. Autism effects every UK taxpayer. The costs comprise:
- Health costs - specialist hospital visits, GP visits, prescriptions, exclusion diet
- Education costs - special schools, extra teachers, extra teaching assistants, extra
- Transport costs - taxis plus drivers and escorts, plus local authority management costs
- Social Services costs - respite care costs, transport, management, inspection, reviews
- Loss of earnings of parents acting as carers
- Social Security costs - carers allowances, disability living allowances
- Inland Revenue costs - loss of earnings of parent, loss of revenues from child when
he/she reaches earning age
- Wider economic costs - loss of GDP
In June 2000 a study for the Mental Health Foundation found that the annual
costs of autistic disorder in the UK were at least £1 billion, and that individual
lifetime costs per child affected could run to £2.94 million.
Part C - UK Autism Numbers
MMR and Late-Onset Autism -(Autistic Enterocolitis) - A
Briefing Note by David Thrower